Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Deep in Georgia mud

Download: GRIFTERS "Corolla Hoist (7" version)"

Here's the 7" version of a rad little tune by one of the top five rock and roll bands of the 1990s. (Sorry, sound quality sort of sucks.) Wait, who were the other four, you ask? Sheesh, well for tonight at least they were Red Red Meat, Kicking Giant, Versus & Guided By Voices. But tomorrowTortoise, Stereolab, Spoon and RR Jerk might leap into that list. It's arbitrary. And dumb. List-making is among my more ridiculous habits. I should really see a hypnotist to stop this filthy habit! PS: though Loveless came out in 1990, My Bloody Valentine are NOT a '90s band, sorry. PPS: Am I one of like five people who cares about the Grifters anymore, or what? Maybe less than five?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

>Am I one of like five people who cares about the Grifters anymore, or what?

guess i'm like one of the other 4 then. ;-)

-jeff

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to read the heading twice. The Grifters?!? I thought I was the only one left who remembered.
Thanks for proving me wrong.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amg's said, if i remember correctly, if gbv are the lo-fi beatles than the grifters are the lo-fi stones. true dat!

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a coincidence that three of the five people left in the world who care about the Grifters would find each other.

Good song. Doesn't sound as earth-shattering to me today as it did in 1993 --all Pavement guitars and unsexy grungewear Swervedriver vocals-- except for the guitar playing in the instrumental breaks which is stellar. Riff sounds like a 1970's network television theme.

"So Happy Together" is a swell album. Murky and slapdash. I heard that some of it was recorded on a ghetto blaster. What a great idea.

Michael C.

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home