Friday, December 10, 2004

There is a precious fountain

Download: SWAN SILVERTONES "Near The Cross Pt. 2"

Taken from a Vee Jay 7" (VJ 879) from 1959, where this tune is the B-side to the Swan Silvertones' re-recording of "Trouble In My Way." For years now, I have been obsessed with this golden age quartet. Singer/ leader Claude Jeter is just so rad! (You know, I just now sounded like a 13-year old girl, and somehow I'm OK with that, in this instance.)

I want to know more about where this was recorded and how but of course there's no info. on the single. The way he does that high pitched humming thing at the end, similarly to when he starts to sing "Mary" in "Mary Don't You Weep" -- it's exquisite. I lik ehow this song ends just as it sounds like it's gonna explode in an ecstatic frenzy. That control, that's what's so rad about this song. I want to say it reminds of the Bad Brains in this respect, but I'm finding it hard to formulate this clearly or interestingly, so I'll shut up now. Hope you dig.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home