Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Neurotics and elegant poseurs

WIZZ JONES "Magical Flight"
WIZZ JONES "Dazzling Stranger"
I discovered the music of British folk pioneer dude Wizz Jones just a few years ago with many thanks to the No Neck folks. I soon thereafter began searching for his stuff, picking up a few CDs here and there. When I win the lottery I'm buying up all his LPs, as the vinyl inches toward Antiques Roadshow levels.

That reminds me; has anyone spoofed Roadshow with vinyl? "I'm sorry sir, but this is NOT an original of Walk Among Us, as you can plainly tell by this mark on the matrix here -- see where it says 'Porky Prime Product'? These albums weren't mastered in the UK!"; "Your grandfather's hip-hop flyers from the late '70s and early '80s are priceless, especially with this photo you have of him in battle stance -- provenance means everything to serious hip-hop collectors!"; "Do you have any fucking idea what 53 original Saturn LPs in Mint/ Mint condition would bring at auction in today's marketplace?" etc. This has to have been done. Right?

It's easy to see why Wizz was as influential as Davey Graham, Bert Jansch and Martin Carthy when it comes to British folk-blues guitar god-ists of the early '60s, though he didn't record until the late '60s. He was more the busker type. If you like Jansch (and who doesn't?), there's a lot to like in Wizz Jones, more than his name even (a great name, lame pee jokes aside).

"Magical Flight" is taken from the 1977 album of the same name, which the great Maddy Prior also appears on; it's been reissued on CD. "Dazzling Stranger" is from the 1995 album of the same name and is only on CD -- it's the only re-recorded 'greatest hits' record I can think of that doesn't suck but then again all I can think of at the moment as a corollary are those thousand Troggs albums from the '80s that forget to mention these are dreadful new versions, not the ones you want...

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike McGonigal said...

Dude that is EXACTLY what I was looking for -- thanks! I would like to see this done really well though... Maybe seriously? Hah. I don't want to do it msyelf.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home