Thursday, May 19, 2005

One thing I know for sure now

THE GRIFTERS "Divine/ She Blows Blasts of Static"
As the course of my minor heartache pulses from brood-y moping to angry moping (and, weirdly, breaking out in fucking hives on my hands!) I find myself more involved in the heavier and louder tunes. This is the B-Side of the great "Soda Pop" single, the fourth release on Shangri-La Records, a 1992 recording that just might be this fabulous Memphis act's single finest work. I love the false beginnings they used on a few of their songs, don't you? It was sort of a hallmark I guess. One day the Grifters will be seen for the total geniuses they were. You must not ignore the strength of their bombast.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to figure out why "Crappin' You Negative" didn't make Rock Stars out of them.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's just what I was going to say ... Crappin' You Negative ...

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the new Paper Plates cd which is what Tripp is doing nowadays if you want a copy.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Mike, sorry to put this in a comment, but I don't know where else to reach you. Can you please email me at amscray@gmail.com? Thanks, Kim Cooper, Scram Magazine

9:43 AM  
Blogger Disco:Very said...

I've had hives as the result of a break-up as well. Pretty weird. I went to a doctor about it and he said that was pretty normal for the stress of the situation. Hang in there--it'll go away as things get better.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home