Saturday, September 10, 2005

All that I ask is that for peace you fight today you fight today

THE MISUNDERSTOOD "I Unseen"

You probably already know that this song is an adaptation of a poem by Turkish poet Nazim Hikmet. Pete Seeger and the Byrds did their own versions of it; the Misunderstood's is, naturally, the best, seeing as how brutally great a band they were. The song's been on my mind since the fiftieth anniversary of Hiroshima was all in the news recently, sort of. Truthfully, it's one of the strongest anti-war anthems I can think of, especially the way it navigates graphic and gruesome lyrics to end with "all that I ask is that for peace you fight today you fight today" -- a site more profound and enthusiasm-enducing than "Sunday Bloody Sunday." To me, anyway. How does one fight for peace, exactly? I've been thinking that a lot these last four years, and I wish I could say I was closer to an answer. Fuck!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this reminds me of the fugs
"kill kill kill for peace"
pretty blunt, as they are

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have. I have a site about earl scruggs previously owned banjos. You can check it out at earl scruggs previously owned banjos

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home