Friday, July 07, 2006

And the rest of the scene still exists

BIG BOYS "Which Way To Go"

Not a rare song, nor a particularly unheralded band this time. The summer makes a lazy man extra lazy. Well, maybe they were a bit unheralded outside of Austin and L.A. at the time, but surely that's been redressed by now. Wikipedia credits them for spreading hardcore across our fair land, which seems pretty wrong to me both on the historical side of things and the musical side, but I don't feel like ever dipping into "correcting" a Wikipedia entry. I mean, I'm a geek and all but I'm not that kind of geek. You know, the kind who cares about accuracy too much.

I do know that this tune is from the Texas band's posthumous 1984 release on Enigma, No Matter How Long the Line Is at the Cafeteria, There's Always a Seat. It's always been one of my three favorite Big Boys songs, and needless to say I was delighted when Seam did a slow-kiddie-core cover of it a few years later.

Didn't get turned on to this band until after they'd broken up, thanks to onetime dorm-mate Al Brown, who lent me this album like in '87, along with the just-released Paid in Full. If you click on that link, check out Alex's Alice Coltrane painting from last year. Holy hell. I always knew Alex was smarter and more talented than anyone else at school, but I didn't realize the dude is brilliant until a few years ago.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Big Boys. I saw 'em with Minor Threat (last show) & the mighty Trouble Funk at The Landsburg Community Center in DC. A great band that hasn't gooten their proper due...

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home