Wednesday, December 29, 2004

No more money, find it in the street

Download: CHARLIE PICKETT & THE EGGS "Trash Fever"
Download: CHARLIE PICKETT & THE EGGS "Shake Some Action"

This Saturday, I hope to celebrate ten years' clean and sober. That kind of freaks me out, in a good way. Today I was listening (with very little nostalgia) to dour junkie lament tunes such as "Dead Flowers" and "Slow Death" (and of course Nikki Sudden and the Jacobites.)

Among my favorite loser dope tunes is this "Trash Fever" ditty from the amazing Cowboy Junkie A Go Go EP on Open Records in 1984. Charlie Pickett would have been a total star in the early '80s if he'd not have been in South Florida. They might have easily outgunned the Gun Club in their day. (Shit, did I really just write that sentence? Might as well apply to be the "entertainment critic" for a local newspaper now, as it appears I've already had a lobotomy!)

But whatever, now Charlie's a lawyer and I hear tell he's happy. I never knew him well but he's clearly a super great guy. There was this one Charlie Pickett show I saw with The Eat doing an unoffical reunion show as openers in 1985 or so at Flynn's on Miami Beach -- fuck! Even as a 17 year old who'd never even heard The Eat before, I could tell this was something amazing, and it was one of those shows where the opener's so great and the headliner totally rises to the occasion -- I do not think I ever saw the Eggs so on fire as that night, either. Of course, I was probably on some of that acid I used to get from the singer for Broken Talent, too... Live, CP & the Eggs were very straight ahead but just brilliant, which is why I've also included one of several Flamin' Groovies covers they used to do, from the Live at the Button LP (Open Records, 1982), which I adore so very much.

PS: Amazon's now collected many millions for tsunami disaster relief. They make it very easy to give, too.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All it takes is for people to care in a practical way, and help is often found. Glad Amazon is making it happen, and you, too...

Rev. Al said:

"Wait a minute...
Something's going wrong-
someone's on the phone-
three o'clock in the morning...
talkin' about how (s)he can make it right.
Well,happiness is when you really feel good with somebody..."

Thanks.
m.

4:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Brian K Reese said...

wow...just found yr site...greatgreatgreat stuff, i'm gonna link you to my blog, if'n you don't mind. i usually post old country, blues'n' garage, though i've been engaged in some xmas and top 10 nonsense this month...think my readers would appreciate yr (much better) site.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Brian K Reese said...

sorry, that last post sounded funny...what i meant to say was that i'd like to add yr site to the links on my blog...there, that makes more sense. i think.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Ingy said...

Congrats on your sobriety. Keep on keepin' on!

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home