Sunday, December 12, 2004

One Two Rip Off My Skiiiiin

Download: NERVOUS GENDER "People Like You"

This here little CODA anthem is taken from the 1981 Subterranean LP Music From Hell. I was at Kim's a few years ago with Brian Turner and he thrust a sealed copy of this album in my hands, saying "get this!" With most folks, I'd have politely declined, but we're talking Brian Turner here, so I obliged. (I think he also told me to get the first Wolf Eyes LP that day, the silkscreened cover one. )

Nervous Gender is the band everyone who's listened to The Screamers too much and wants something similar eventually discovers. They also hail from L.A., and while they're not as mind-bendingly rad as Tomata du Plenty and co., they're pretty fricking rad. The members on here are Gerardo Velazquez, Edward Stapleton, Phranc and Michael Ochoa. Paul Roessler of the Screamers (and DC3) was in the group for about a year.

A detailed, illustrated history of the band with lots of archival reviews and stuff is right here. And there's more about the group over here.