Tuesday, March 15, 2005

My nightmares are full of stupid talks...

THIRTY NINE CLOCKS "Radical Student Mob In Satin"
THIRTY NINE CLOCKS "A Look Into You"
THIRTY NINE CLOCKS "Psycho Beat"

We are gathered here today in utter awe of the German "synth-punk" duo 39 Clocks, a deliriously and studiedly cool early '80s group with a broken drum machine (it seemed to have maybe two settings, total) who anticipated the Spacemen Three's obsession with the Velvets and Suicide but in a fabulously wrong, perhaps intentionally fucked-up, ESL-poetry, bad haircut and pleather pants, more than mildly Gothy and proto-electroclash (excuse me did I just write proto-electroclash? kill me now), very very 'Sprockets' kinda way that perhaps sounds perfect this year, or maybe that was two years ago. Who cares. I adore them and have since my ex roommate, Uncle Wiggly member and WFMU DJ Bill Berger turned me on to them ca. 1989.

They used the English language wonderfully, just peep some of their song titles: Twisted & Shouts/ New Crime Appeal/ Shake The Hippie/ 78 Soldier Dead/ Test The Beat/ Psycho Beat/ 39 Explosion Heats/ A look Into You/ Heat Of Violence/ Dom (Electricity Elects The Rain)/ Psychotic Louie Louie/ Past Tense Hope &/ Instant Fears On 42nd Street/ Virtous Girl/ Three Floors Down/ Rainy Night Insanities/ A Touch Of Rot. How can you not be in awe of this band? My dear God, I love them. The three tunes presented here are taken from vinyl, off 1981's Pain It Dark LP on the No Fun label. It is not their best work but it's their first album, and we will definitely hear more from them soon, and in slightly less crappy fidelity too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paulo X said...

Hey Mike!

Once again, thanks for these tracks! They are awesome!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's great advise to everyone. Become an herbal affilate:Big Commissions available. Make tons of "side cash"

6:38 PM  
Blogger Editor said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a tongue cancer site. It pretty much covers Cancer related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home