Tuesday, March 22, 2005

In the land of the living dead

BLURT "My Mother was a Friend of an Enemy of the People"

My Moms was here for much of the past week -- was super rad to have her here, and my nephew E. as well. I DJ'ed for Mom last Thursday night, in fact, at Dunes, and thanks to International Pretend To Be Irish By Throwing Up Green Beer On Your Date's Dress Day I guess, hardly anyone was there but my friends and my Mom, while I played with records (it was actually a very clumsy night, be glad you were not there).

Everyone was like "Your Mom is so fucking cool!" And I just replied, "I know!" I'd intended to play this classic by Ted Milton's massively underrated band Blurt, but it was a tad too intense and skronky for the vibe I was laying down, so I backed off on it. I played quite a few gospel "mother" songs and Prince Nico Mbarga's awesome "Sweet Mother" instead. As a groovy coincidence, Brian Turner played this tune on WFMU today (congrats to them for making their fundraising goals). So, here it is for anyone who missed it on Brian's show.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard a lot of good things about Prince Nico Mbarga, and I was wondering if at some point you could post something of his.

-A frequent listener

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found this blog thanks to your mention in Blender. Will there ever be another issue of Yeti?

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And is there any chance you could post some Screamers plus the Tomata obit that you ran in Yeti?

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home