Sunday, January 09, 2005

Everytime you walk away (something something something)

Download: JUNE BRIDES "One Day (Peel Session)"

Found this 12" in Seattle last weekend for $3; man, was I psyched! Here's an awesome piece by the guy who started their label, FYI. I love that the guy wrote this: Finally however, our bands simply weren't that good. [The June Brides' leader] Phil Wilson had flashes of brilliance but was too wrapped up in the do it yourself mentality of punk to really sustain success in the mainstream, and his voice was also somewhat suspect (bless him!). When I first heard Belle & Sebastian, I took them for a bit of a June Brides knockoff, actually. Though I think I am the only person in the world who thinks this, unlike, say, thinking that Slumber Party sounds like the Shop Assistants... According to the JB website, this fine little pop dirge was recorded "at BBC Maida Vale Studios, London, 22 October 1985." I think I recorded it with too much bass in the mix.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mike,

just found this blog care of blissblog. blog blog blog

anyway, I hadn't even heard the June Brides yet when one day a few years ago Phil Wilson emailed me because I had a little blurb about the Lines on the old Acute website. He said something to the nature of "when I formed the June Brides all I hoped was I could release some singles as good as the Lines"

Something like that anyway.

Thanks for the blog...great stuff.

dan selzer
acute records

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mike,

just found this blog care of blissblog. blog blog blog

anyway, I hadn't even heard the June Brides yet when one day a few years ago Phil Wilson emailed me because I had a little blurb about the Lines on the old Acute website. He said something to the nature of "when I formed the June Brides all I hoped was I could release some singles as good as the Lines"

Something like that anyway.

Thanks for the blog...great stuff.

dan selzer
acute records

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home