Tuesday, January 18, 2005

I hope these color are the ones you can eat

Download: AUGUST SONS "Decisions"

This song is taken from the 1994 release Sonnets & Parables on a label called Eyes In The Woods. I think I first heard of this group from the Grifters. Word was they were this trio of really bright backwoods Mississippi boys who made their own instruments and sounded kind of like the Red Krayola or Silver Apples and that they were led by this mad scientist type named Jerry Scruggs. I saw them twice when I lived in East Tennessee in the '90s; they were from Saucier, MS and were just mind-blowing live. The way they mixed messed-up electronics with the rock music was super prescient and like self-taught which made it far more amazing -- how many bands build their own electronics? Not enough, I say.

1 Comments:

Blogger J. said...

Fucking great. I was able to dig up copies of 'Plants, Planets and Insects' and 'Sonnets and Parables' online (the latter for $0.01 on eBay). Fantastic stuff. Thanks for the tip!

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home