Friday, March 25, 2005

Don't take yourself too seriously

SLOVENLY "Enormous Critics"
SLOVENLY "Prejudice"


Here's two songs off 1987's Riposte album. The SF-based group Slovenly were simply one of the best bands around in the mid-late '80s, and remain among the raddest live bands I've ever seen -- they played ca. '88 at Maxwell's in New Jersey, opposite a Pere Ubu show at either the Ritz or Irving Plaza in the city that night, and well, audience members were outnumbered by the band onstage, yet they totally nailed it. (As I recall, Art Black was in the crowd that night -- whatever happened to him? Away from the Pulsebeat was a very very good thing, yes.)

Some of the Slovenly people play with Mike Watt, some are in that band Baculum. Steve Anderson, who had a deep affinity for the writings of John Fante, possessed the most love-it-or-hate-it vocal delivery this side of ummm, Pere Ubu.

PS: I've been sick for most of the past three weeks! As of yesterday I think I have have fricking conjuctivitis, yipppeeeee. If you see me run away.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aah, Slovenly. They had their moments of pure genius. I first heard them on one of the C.I. singles (the live version of "Enormous Critics"). My favorite might be "She was bananas" from "We shoot for the moon". One of those euphoric moments. There's one or two on the Abernathy single, too...
...and I saw this today. Congrats! / klas

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aah, Slovenly, indeed. The most criminally underrecognized band of the 80s. Sasha Frere-Jones
name-dropped them
in his blog recently, "wake me for the Slovenly reissues." All of their stuff is good, I've got it all. A couple of their members are now in Baculum, and have released something on 6 Beads of Sweat.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0623

michael kors outlet
canada goose parka
coach outlet
football shirts
undefeated clothing
reebok trainers
moncler outlet
adidas trainers
longchamp solde
kyrie 4


8:13 PM  
Anonymous Fontana Gutter Cleaning said...

Good readd

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home