Wednesday, August 17, 2005

It's a game called Keep Away

GO TEAM "Archer Come Sparrow"
GO TEAM "Loneliness March"
GO TEAM "Wonderbirds"

This band was mentioned the other day in a mailing list I post to twice a year, and I obviously referenced 'em myself yesterday, then realized peeps have never heard them (which makes sense as they've never been reissued for some crazy reason) so here's a taste. A crummy sounding taste, but a taste nonetheless. Listening to these songs now, they make me think of a junior high garage band trying to sound like early Pell Mell, their vaguely creepy but lovable shop teacher occasionally singing on top of it all. Awesome!!!

Man I wish I still had these singles -- the packaging alone was gorgeous -- one-sided 7"s with a different month silscreened on the blank side of each, then packaged in a plastic bag like some fancy treat. There was supposed to be one a month, but you know how these things go... (I think I have some of the earlier cassette tapes somewhere too, gotta find those!) FYI, Mike Appelstein's great article remains the first and last word on the band.

PS: Someone explain to me why George Kuchar's beyond-classic Hold Me While I'm Naked is not on DVD. I know it's a short, but sheesh!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks so much for posting these. i have a tiny quibble, though - the song you've got labeled "archer come sparrow" is actually "keep-a-way" and i think it's a little slow. or maybe my cassette was always a little fast.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Disco:Very said...

Seeing how it's Calvin Johnston of Beat Happening, and they released all their records (to my knowledge) on K Records, you'd think that label would want to connect their history to current record geeks like us (uh, like me). Jeez, Kurt Cobain even played on one of their singles--wouldn't that be reason enough to reissue these tracks?

8:28 PM  
Blogger Disco:Very said...

I forgot to add: I don't believe any of George Kuchar's stuff is available on DVD, is it? Nor his brother's films, either. Come on, Criterion! Get this stuff out there to the general public!

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I just came across your blog about **keyword** and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about peter leeds penny stock so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!"

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home