Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Dragging me down

POP ART TOASTERS "Circles"
FOUR INTERNES "I'm Troubled"
THE SOUTHERN SONS "This Heart of Mine, Pt. 1"

I am obsessed with songs about dizziness and disorientation, and the ways in which the structure of those tunes so often mirrors the subject matter. I'm thinking about this a lot as I work on the MBV book, as every MBV song pretty much hints at a loss of equilibrium, you dig? Anyway. "Instant Party (Circles)" is one of my favorite ever Who songs, and I know of three diffferent covers of it. The best is of course by the British '60s band Fleurs des Lys, but props must be gaved to Pop Art Toasters, a band that a New Zealand music website calls "a short-lived super-group of sorts featuring martin phillips, david kilgour, noel ward, alan starrett and mike dooley." OK.

I don't know too much about the Internes or the Southern Sons. Both crossed from jubilee style singing to "hard" gospel in the late '40s. These are among the respective groups' best known tunes -- and it's easy to see why. When I hear these songs I just want to write scenes for a movie that they can play in the foreground to, uninterrupted.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should also check out Pela:episodes(dyphanhydramine)

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home